Why should dogs avoid grapes?

Can dogs eat grapes? The ANSWER is simple (and this also goes to raisins, which are simply dried grapes):

No, grapes should never be eaten by dogs. I t is known that grapes and raisins are extremely hazardous to dogs.


Breed, or age of a dog has no influence on the risk of being affected, and since there is no proven amount that is safe, you shouldn’t be giving your pup grapes or raisins at all.

Can a Single Grape Kill a Dog?

Unfortunately, grape/raisin poisoning can even be deadly with just one serving. Dogs who eat the fruit may experience acute (sudden) kidney failure.

Signs and Symptoms of Toxic Ingestion:

• Loss of appetite

Lethargy, weakness, unusual stillness

Vomiting and/or diarrhea, often within a few hours

Abdominal pain (tender when touched)

Dehydration (signs include panting; dry nose and mouth; pale gums). A quick way to test for dehydration is to gently pull up on the skin at the back of your dog’s neck. It should spring back immediately.

• Increased thirst and/or urine production or diminished amount of urine or complete cessation altogether

Kidney failure (which can be fatal)

What to Do if Dog Ate Grape

Modern Vet Using Stethoscope

It is important that your dog receive medical attention if it ate grapes or raisins. Speak with your veterinarian, who can advise you to induce vomiting right away. If your dog is asleep, showing indications of distress, having difficulties breathing, or you are unsure of what he has eaten, you should not attempt to make him vomit.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top